Sunday 29 January 2012

Travels Through Time

I didn't really fancy the leap to Faraday in Chapter 4 today. Not because I don't like the subject matter, because I know I will find it extremely interesting once I get going. The historical aspect of this course is really fascinating (who did what and why did they do it?).


No, the reason I didn't move on to Chapter 4 is that I'm in the middle of reading 'Time Riders - Gates of Rome' by Alex Scarrow. It's the fifth book in the series about a group of kids who were snatched out of time minutes before their imminent death and taken to a lock-up under the Williamsburg Bridge in New York to work for a top-secret agency. There they repeat the 10th and 11th September 2001 over and over, watching for subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) changes which may indicate that someone has gone back in time and altered something.


I won't go into plot details, but the gist of each novel is that something has happened in the past which they have to go back in time to fix; aided by their tube grown, genetically engineered, super-human 'support units'. Whilst it is classed as a 'Young Adults' novel, I think Scarrow has a fantastic imagination which he is able to express through his writing in an engaging manner, without resorting to his characters swearing at the drop of a hat.

Now according to the Time Riders website, the book isn't due out until next Thursday, so maybe I've done a little time travelling myself...





2 comments:

  1. I've read allot of 'young adult' novels and sometimes they are written better than those for adults. This series looks interesting and right up my street. I may see if the 1st one is avail on kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Sci-Fi and I also love Historical novels so this series was ideal.

      Delete