Tuesday 14 February 2012

Take a Break

I've done it! I've finally managed to write Part 2 of my Assignment. After reading Faustus's Last Soliloquy about a hundred times, listening to the CD track about twenty times and watching Richard Burton in the 1967 film version three times, I've managed to get something down in my own words.


The tricky part here wasn't understanding the play or deciphering the language; nor was it a case of not knowing the character of Doctor Faustus and figuring out why he did what he did or said what he said. No - the hard part was trying to put this into my OWN words when the books were making such a good job of explaining it all to me.


For this 500 word assignment I only managed 375 words but decided if I added any more I would just be waffling. At first I was a bit worried until I read the rules about 'word lengths' which told me it is fine to be under the word count but frowned upon to go over. Still to be on the safe side, I may go back and have another go just before I send it off. For now though, it's time to take a short break from my studies...

2 comments:

  1. Well done! With regards to word count I have always been told that to go over was more problematic (my current course wont even allow the 10% leeway), but (and I dont want to worry you) we were also told that going more than 10% under the word limit could lose you a few marks because you haven't made the most of the space they allow, and that they give a certian word limit because that is what they deem it requires to answer the question. Perhaps email your tutor, see what they think before you try and add any extra words. I hope you're still enjoying the subjects :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky...
      The assignment isn't due until 9th March so I plan to put it on one side for a fortnight and look at it with fresh eyes and mind. If I'm still struggling, THEN I'll contact my tutor :-)

      Delete