Monday 27 February 2012

Missed Opportunity

Saturday was the first Day School for my OU course at Leeds Rose Bowl, but I didn't go. I intended to, but only had a few pounds left and had to decide between bus fares or food... I chose food!


What was really annoying though (and also a lovely surprise), was when, out of habit, I checked the balance of my bank account at the ATM - my grant money had been paid in (although I didn't get the letter until today).


So, with my wallet now full of cash, I headed off to Leeds anyway, although sadly too late for the Day School. Instead, I went straight to Waterstones to purchase the rest of my set books for the course: The Faber Book of Beasts (ed. Muldoon, P.), The Burial at Thebes (by Seamus Heaney) and A World of Difference: An anthology of short stories from five continents (ed. Prescott, L.).


I also decided to buy myself a few writers' magazines and pay a few months broadband in advance, so that after last week's fiasco, at least I know I can stay online.


That wasn't my only surprise on Saturday. When I returned home, I had received a small parcel through the post from Waterstones - a proof copy of a new book which I need to review. The book is called 'Toxic Treacle' by a Yorkshire born author called Echo Freer. It is a young adults' novel, set in a world where there are clear but complicated laws regarding the mixing of males and females; where everyone has specific roles to play; where relationships between male and female are purely for breeding. I'm only on page 70 at the moment, but am enjoying it so far. When I finish, I will post a link to the review.

No comments:

Post a Comment